Our current favorite breakfast consists of two slices of this Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread topped with sliced avocados, sprinkled with salt and garlic powder. It’s so good and so easy and much tastier than oatmeal right now. I love making the No-Knead Bread because it’s pretty much hands-off yeast bread but this whole wheat version is currently on rotation here. I have been using whole wheat flour more lately, even in our pizza dough recipe, and we love it.
Dutch Oven Bread Whole Wheat
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water
- n a large mixing bowl, stir together both flours, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water and stir just until incorporated. Do not overmix. The dough will be shaggy.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter, at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours. The dough will rise and have lots of air bubbles.
- The next day, lightly flour a piece of parchment paper. Place dough onto paper. With floured hands, shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust rack to lower position. Place Dutch oven inside. Preheat for 30 minutes.
- When oven is ready, carefully place the parchment paper with dough inside the Dutch oven. Cover with Dutch oven lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake 7 to 10 minutes more or until the top is golden brown, has cracks.
- Carefully remove Dutch oven from oven. Remove parchment paper with bread and place on a wooden cutting board. Let cool completely.